He will give his angels charge of you,
To guard you in all your ways.
четвъртък, 29 ноември 2012 г.
Copy of a famous grave memorial popularly
called Grief sculpted by Augustus St. Gaudens, associated
with haunting activity.
The original St. Gaudens Grief was made for Marian “Clover”
Adams, the wife of Henry Adams, the grandson of
President John Quincy Adams. After the death of her
father in 1885, Marian fell into a dark depression and
committed SUICIDE by drinking potassium in December of
that year. Adams buried her in Rock Creek Cemetery in
Washington, D.C. Initially, her grave had a simple headstone.
Adams went traveling abroad to relieve his grief,
and when he returned, he commissioned St. Gaudens
to create a memorial. St. Gaudens spent four years on
the piece, a mournful-looking seated woman carved out
of pink granite. Powerful and compelling, the memorial
drew the curious to Marian’s grave.
St. Gaudens’s statue was copied by another sculptor,
Eduard L. A. Pausch, who sold his copy in 1905 to General
Felix Agnus, the publisher of the Baltimore American
newspaper, who was constructing a family burial site in
Druid Ridge Cemetery in Pikesville. The widow of St.
Gaudens found out about the copy and came to see it herself.
She was appalled at the poor quality. Agnus claimed
he was not to blame because he was the victim of fraudulent
art dealers. Mrs. St. Gaudens told him to sue the
art dealers and surrender the forgery. Agnus did sue and
won—but he kept the phony statue. Agnus’s wife died in
1922 and Agnus died in 1925. Both were buried with the
replica Grief at the family grave. It soon became known as
The gravesite quickly gained a reputation for mysterious
phenomena. People came at night to see if the
stories were true; some defaced the statue. By 1966, the
descendants of Agnus decided to get rid of the source
of the problem by donating the statue to the Maryland
Museum of Art. Somehow the deal fell through, and in
1967 the statues went instead to the Smithsonian Institution
in Washington, D.C. The Smithsonian gave it to
the National Museum of American Art. It languished in
storage and then was placed in the back courtyard of the
DOLLEY MADISON house in Washington, where it remains
Agnus’s grave was reported to be haunted soon after his
death in 1925. The focal point of the activity was the
weird Black Aggie. Oddly, grass never grew around the
statue. Nocturnal visitors claimed that Black Aggie’s eyes
glowed in the dark, and if a person returned her gaze, he
would be struck blind. Spirits were said to rise up out of
their graves and gather around her in adoration on certain
nights. Pregnant women who crossed the statue’s shadow
were certain to miscarry.
A fraternity made pledges spend a night in the embrace
of Black Aggie. According to legend, one unfortunate initiate
was crushed to death when the statue came to life.
A sheet metal worker cut off one of the statue’s arms
in 1962 and hid the piece in his trunk. It was discovered,
and the man was brought to trial. He told the judge that
Black Aggie had cut off her own arm and given it to him.
The judge sent the man to prison.
Black Aggie continues to inspire stories of strange